Integrating and embedding languages across the whole primary curriculum will motivate learners and maximise learning. There is great value in using languages for ‘real purposes’ throughout the school day, particularly in daily classroom routines:
- Pupils can be greeted daily in the Target Language (TL). Any registering activity can be a useful tool in recapping small areas of vocabulary, such as favourite animals/colours/food/numbers.
- The date and weather can be shown in the TL in a prominent place and changed daily.
- Birthdays can be celebrated in the TL
- Common items/places in the school can be labelled in the TL.
- Praise and censure can both be applied in the TL
- Playground games can be played and supervised in the TL
Topic area resources in French
French culture day
Le français actif – combining languages with PE
Language is all around us, and speaking another language should not be confined to inside the classroom. By taking language into PE lessons, it gives a real life context, ceasing to be a ‘subject’ and instead an integral and useful part of everyday life. You don’t have to conduct an entire PE lesson in French for it to make an impact. Simple warm up exercises can be really effective.
Parachute games are another way of bringing languages and PE together
Moving forward – transition